Gabapentin for pain- Pain is no more a pain!
Pains are of different forms. They can be grouped into two as; nociceptive pain and neuropathic pain. Nociceptive pain can be further divided into two parts as radicular or somatic pain. Gabapentin for pain is popular among many as a solution for all those pains. In other words, it is a good painkiller. This medication contains both generic and brand name. The brand name of it is Neurontin. This belongs to the class of anticonvulsant drugs, to treat seizures, neuropathic pain, hot flushes, and Wittmaack- Ekbom or legs syndrome. This can be used as an amalgamation therapy which means it could be used with some other drugs or painkillers. It was created to be an approximate synthetic version of the neurotransmitter GABA.
Gabapentin for pain
This capsule is a widespread and popular used drug which is prescribed by doctors and used many patients to overcome from pains. Other than a pain killer it is also used as medicine taken with another painkiller. Following are the types of pains:
This type of pain is linked to the nerves system. This is caused by nerve impairments. This can be also denoted as nerve pain. This condition varies from a normal nerve pain that occurs due to an injury of tissue by a cut or a fall. Therefore, the drugs used to cure this pain are also different. So, typical painkillers which are used to treat patients with damaged tissues cannot be used to treat neuropathic patients. Hence, occasionally the medicines used for migraines or depression could answer with the patients of this pain. Hence, Gabapentin is such a medicine.
This is chronic muscle pain. This disorder often goes with fatigue, insomnia, depression, and anxiety. The exact reason for this disorder is not yet proved but certain researches said that it is related to the central nervous system. Moreover, this treatment can be used to treat anxiety which causes due to the worry or fear in the minds of people.
This antiepileptic drug is used to treat cancer- related pain syndromes. This wonderful medicine has successfully reduced the pains that occurred to them. This is so happy to announce news!
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
It is a long-term complex condition but luckily this can be treated by gabapentin. This is the accurate medicine in treating diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
For what gabapentin used for?
This capsule was used at the initial point to treat bipolar disorder. But later it was used to treat pain. Other usages are described below:
- It is also used to relieve numbness occurred due to the damage of nerves caused by diabetes.
- It helps to prevent hot flushes.
- This medicine is also used to treat patients with breast cancer and menopause.
- It is used to control seizures and nerve pain.
- Treatment for chronic kidney disease.
- To overcome cancer- related pains
- This medication is used to treat depression.
Everything you need to know about Gabapentin Dosage
A person must have a prescription from a doctor and its dosage will vary according to the age of the patient. Hence, children and elder patients seem to be responded to a lower dosage. The doctors can increase the dosage when they do not respond to a lower dosage of this medicine. Therefore, the amount of a person’s use of this medicine can be decided only by a physician. Following are the dosages for certain disorders:
- Dosage for Postherpetic Neuralgia: The starting dose of this medicine can be 300mg per day and it can be increased with days. As an example, (Day 1= 300mg dose), (Day 2= 600mg dose), (Day 3= 900 mg dose).
- Dosage for epilepsy: The dosage for patients of 12 years and above, starting dose can be 300mg three times a day. The maximum time between dosages should not exceed 12 hours. The dosage for patients of age 3 to 11 years, starting dose range is 10mgper day to 15 mg per day in three divided doses.
- Dosage for patients with renal impairments: the patients under 12 years and above can take 900mg to 3600mg per day as divided three times doses.
More must know facts about gabapentin dosage…
- Moreover, higher doses of gabapentin could adversely affect patients. They may face various problems due to the gabapentin high The long-term use of gabapentin could be dangerous. The abrupt stoppage of this medicine can result in creating stress and depression. Therefore, the discontinuation of the drug should be done with proper care because the body could not be able to react with the sudden lack of gabapentin. This will also result in the risk of getting back to the condition you got treated for. The drowsiness, sleepiness, sudden weight gain and certain allergies may cause. This may also lead to depression condition such as one might get suicidal thoughts. Additionally, inform your doctor if any of these symptoms are visible. Following are the symptoms:
- Certain problems in memorizing and remembering things.
- Infection of viral diseases
- Dry mouth
Correspondingly, there are certain side effects of getting this medicine. Therefore, it is important to get advice from a doctor before getting this drug. Though it is useful and can be used to prevent certain condition this has some unfavorable characteristics too. The side-effects are as follows:
- Difficulty in breathing
In conclusion, this medication has many uses and can cure many diseases but on another hand, there are various factors that you should concern when you use this drug. The most important issue in the introduction of this drug is that it is used as a drug addict by few people. The use of this drug without a prescription is not legal. Moreover, the long- term use of this drug could make a person an addictive because it will be difficult to stop it. However, gabapentin for pain is highly recommended. Finally, I advise personally to use this drug with the recommendations and advice of a well-practiced doctor because there can be any other alteration of a drug rather than using gabapentin as a solution. So, let us be brave in selecting the medications!